This week has been much more productive! YAY! I found the platform I want to use, I started many pages after receiving permission to use the information I want to post, and I am having a lot of fun creating this project!
The original platform I started to use was Wikispaces but found that it was very awkward to edit and does not offer page templates for education like PBworks does. I like the looks of Wikispaces, but PBworks is more user friendly for the educational purposes I am creating wikis for. I decided it makes the most sense to put all of my course projects together on the same page because it will transition more smoothly for me in the future to make it a working wiki in my classroom and allow me to access all the resources I have researched this semester. My grades may suffer for it in the other courses, but so be it. This is going to benefit me more in the long run.
I wish I would have chosen a different URL name for my PBworks wiki. I originally thought it would be best to keep everything separate when creating the wikis for my three courses, so I named it onlineresourcefiles. I’m stuck with it now. I should have done something very generic. Learned my lesson on that one for the future. I want to find out how to create separate wikis. There must be a way to make each wiki a stand alone wiki on my account. It is a goal to find out by the end of this project. Maybe it will be that I have to make a FrontPage much like the JanePatch page I created for #en3177 Weblogs and Wikis.
I updated my ProjectProposal page by adding in the URL to the two different wiki platforms I joined/created. On my Wikispaces page I created only one page before becoming so frustrated with it I searched for other platforms. I found PBworks and liked the templates available. I created an account there and started to work. I created 10+ wiki pages this week with ease. Some of those pages are for a Webliography project for another course, but it is useful educator information that will be used as a reference in my future teaching years, so it is still relevant to this project.
A Start-Up File for Writers Workshop is the name of the folder I created for this project. Within this folder, I have created the main page of the same name with nodes to Course Information, Classroom Expectations, Daily Routine, and Creating Your Writer’s Workshop Notebook. None of these pages are complete yet, but I wanted to get as much started as I could since I am behind in this project already. I work best in big blocks of time, rather than posting over a span of days, so I’m not sure how my grading contract will be supported as I finish up the project. I hope that the quality and quantity of information I create will trump how often it is posted.
So far, so good for the start-up of my project, finally! I am happy with how everything is coming together and am looking forward to creating more.